One PhD fellowship within the context of the project “Characterizing researchers’ research agenda-setting: an international perspective across fields of knowledge” – to start on the 1st of January 2017.
The Principal Investigator (Dr. Hugo Horta) of the abovementioned research project invites applications for a single PhD position at the Faculty of Education at The University of Hong Kong (supported by the research project funding, which secures 3 years of the PhD funding). The PhD fellowship is expected to start on January 1st of 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter. The PhD candidate will participate both in formal project events and in informal deliberations throughout the candidate’s affiliation with the project; He or she will have the opportunity to pursue a research topic that is to be framed and developed within the scope of the research project (description below). In addition to coursework and other institutional obligations, the PhD candidate will undertake the following main activities that relate both to the PhD and the project:
- Scheduling and performing interviews (mostly in Hong Kong and East Asian countries)
- Analyze varied types of qualitative data
- Collaborating in the writing of research outputs
- Contributing to the dissemination of project findings and other outreach activities.
The successful PhD candidate must be fluent in spoken and written academic English (Documentation of English proficiency such as IELTS or TOEFL required). Knowledge of Mandarin and/or Cantonese will be considered an advantage, but is not a requirement. Other following conditions are of key relevance:
- Strong knowledge of qualitative research methodologies.
- Leaning towards conceptual development
- Possession of a master degree in a field of the social sciences.
- Have proven interest in the field of science and technology and/or higher education
- Research experience – If the applicant has authored or co-authored publications from research activities, these should be made available during the application process.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A copy of the applicant’s Bachelor and Master’s degree diploma – transcript of records desirable if possible
- Documentation of English proficiency (for IELTS a minimum of 6 with no subtest below 5.5; for TOEFL a minimum of 100)
- Publications (if any)
- A tentative PhD project proposal based on the description of the research project below (must not exceed 5,000 words).
The application deadline: October 15, 2016.
Applications should be sent to: Dr. Hugo Horta at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants may be requested to be interviewed, during late October and early November of 2016.
Detailed project Description