Lili Yang (杨力苈) is an assistant professor at the Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong. She has strong interests in Eastern-Western comparison in higher education, especially how higher education (including the epistemic practices of intellectuals, the position of the university in society, the individualized and collective good of universities) are shaped by Eastern and Western intellectual traditions, and social, political, and educational cultures. Lili is interested in drawing on traditional Chinese ideas and thoughts to inform contemporary (global) higher educational practices. She also conducts research on global science. More broadly, her interests include higher education, comparative education, and educational and political philosophy. Previously, Lili was a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Education, University of Oxford, where she also received her Ph.D. in Education. Her forthcoming book is titled ‘Higher Education, State and Society: Comparing the Chinese and Anglo-American Approaches’ (Bloomsbury, 2023).
- Yang, L., & Tian, L. (2022). Rethinking the ‘global’ in global higher education studies: From the lens of the Chinese idea of tianxia. Oxford Review of Education, DOI: 10.1080/03054985.2022.2079617
- Yang, L., Marginson, S., & Xu, X. (2022). 以“天下”思天下：“天下”思想对全球高等教育的新启发 (Thinking through tianxia: A new/old heuristic for worldwide higher education). 清华大学教育研究 (Tsinghua Journal of Education), (2), 1-13. [in Chinese]
- Yang, L. (2022). Student formation in higher education: a comparison and combination of Confucian xiushen (self-cultivation) and Bildung. Higher Education, 83(5), 1163-1180.
- Marginson, S., & Yang, L. (2022). Individual and collective outcomes of higher education: a comparison of Anglo-American and Chinese approaches. Globalisation, Societies and Education, 20(1), 1-31.
- Yang, L., Brotherhood, T., & Chankseliani, M. (2022). A crisis of opportunity at English universities: Rethinking higher education through the common good idea. Educational Review, 74(3), 591-608.
- Yang, L. (2021). Social equity and equity in higher education: A comparison of the liberal Anglo-American and Chinese political cultures. International Journal of Educational Development. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijedudev.2021.102403.
- Marini, G., & Yang, L. (2021). Globally Bred Chinese Talents Returning Home: An Analysis of a Reverse Brain-Drain Flagship Policy. Science and Public Policy, 48(4), 541-552.